Officially The Essex Shipbuilding Monument (currently abutting the Town Landing) was dedicated to “those men of Chebacco and Essex who by the skill of mind and hand and within sight of this spot created nearly 4,000 wooden vessels - 1650-1982”. History Thanks to a temporary verbal commitment kept by Mr. Woodman, the monument and its surrounding elements (flagpoles, park benches, ship’s chain, steel podium, shrubbery, etc.) were given a temporary place of honor next to Mr. Woodman’s restaurant. These aspects of that “Shipbuilders’ Park” are now scattered to various sites. Construction The ship’s wheel box is made of several tons of Cape Ann granite, bronze and tempered steel. The Essex Lions Club raised more than $9,500 for its initial cost, and Essex volunteerism accounted for the rest of the over $55,000 gross cost of the monument and the park’s elements. The town selectmen (at that time) committed to the illumination of the monument, both at its initial temporary site and at its current site. Current Status The Essex Lions Club is looking for a permanent place of honor, preferably on the causeway, where 15 shipyards used their expertise to build and launch approximately 4,000 ships. This site would either be on town land or on land donated to the town by private owners.Hopefully, this will happen before the town’s bicentennial in 2019.